Summer House Cooking: Putting the season’s vegetables to good use
As many of you know, I’m very attached to our little market, which is one reason why it was such a pleasure for me to write about it for the August issue of Bon Appetit magazine. The story, which is now available online, includes 8 recipes that are favorites of mine for the season:
- SUMMER CORN SOUP (pictured above) — not only do I love the flavor and texture of this soup, I love that you get to use everything corny to make it, including the cobs!
- TOMATO AND TAPENADE TARTLETS — so sophisticated looking; so easy
- CAPER-ROSEMARY TUNA WITH HERB SALAD — worth firing up the grill for, even if the tuna only cooks on it for a very few minutes
- GRILLED SCALLOPS AND NECTARINES WITH CORN AND TOMATO SALAD — I love the combination of sweet scallops, nectarines and corn with the bit of acidity you get from tomatoes (I also love the surprise of nectarines in a main course)
- GRILLED EGGPLANT WITH CAPONATA SALSA — think eggplant as bruschetta
- GRILLED LEMON CHICKEN AND MOROCCAN COUSCOUS SALAD — one of my summer go-to recipes
- GRILLED FLANK STEAK WITH SPICY PEPPER AND WATERMELON SALAD — the salad, a mix of bell peppers, fiery sriracha sauce and cool watermelon, is perfect with steak, but just as good with chicken or fish
- ZUCCHINI TAGLIATELLE WITH MINT, CUCUMBER AND LEMON — no pasta here, just zucchini sliced on a mandoline or v slicer to look like tagliatelle; it’s fun and it’s good with so many things — I served it with roasted salmon last night
I hope you’ll take a look at the story (I don’t know how long it will be up, since links get updated so frequently) and that you”ll enjoy the read. And I really hope you’ll cook from the recipes.