- I was born in Brooklyn (before it was hip and groovy).
- I burned my parents’ kitchen down when I was 12 and didn’t cook again until I got married.
- I’m married to Michael (and have been since I was a junior in college) and mom to Joshua, formerly known as “The Kid,” now married to Linling Tao and father to the miraculous Gemma and VV.
- I gave up working on my doctorate in gerontology to bake cookies in a restaurant basement (a job I was fired from) and thank my stars I did.
- I was a columnist for The New York Times Magazine for five years. Before that, I wrote a column for The Washington Post.
- I write the xoxoDorie newsletter.
- I’ve written 14 cookbooks.
- My latest cookbook, Baking with Dorie, came into the world on October 19, 2021. (My last cookbook, Everyday Dorie, was a Scorpio, like its mom.)
- I have five James Beard Awards (one for journalism; one for my book, Baking with Julia; one for Baking From My Home to Yours; one for Dorie’s Cookies; and one for being voted into the Who’s Who of Food and Beverage in America).
- I’ve won the Cookbook of the Year Award from the International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP) … twice (once for Desserts by Pierre Hermé and once for Around My French Table).
- I’ve been on The New York Times Bestseller List … three times (once for Around My French Table, once for Baking Chez Moi and again for Baking with Dorie. )
- I was awarded the Mérite d’ Agricole – the Order of Agricultural Merit – by the French Consulate for my writings about France’s food.
- I live in three places: New York City, Westbrook, CT and Paris, France and yes, I consider myself extraordinarily lucky.